Paige Toon | INTERVIEW | AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT | Q&A


I'm incredibly delighted to announce the one & only Paige Toon (pictured) is the focus of my Author Spotlight. I first discovered Paige when I picked up Chasing Daisy far too many years ago to say... the important part is that laughed, cried buckets & then never looked back. She is to this day my most recommended author & I couldn't believe my eyes when Paige said yes to this Q&A.  

Paige grew up between England, Australia & America and has been writing books set in sun-drenched locations around the world since 2007. She has written sixteen novels and a three-part-spin-off series for young adults. Her novels have sold over 1.5 million copies worldwide.

Her latest novel Someone I Used To Know is out today! I'm warning you now will need tissues but there is plenty of smiles & characters that will find a way into your heart to be found along the way. 

Now without further ado, here is my Q&A with the absolutetly fabulous lady herself...

Can you tell me something about Someone I Used To Know that isn't in the blurb? 

Everything is not always as it seems – you’re in for a few twists and turns along the way!

How did you come up with the inspiration for this novel?

I wanted to write about a character whose parents fostered – the idea of growing up in a household of troubled teenagers who come and go and likely need your parents more than you do. Also, I adore a forbidden love story and Leah, my heroine, would not be allowed to fall for George, her foster brother. 


Who was your favourite character in this book to write?

George. I think I will always say the primary love interest as I’m inside the heroine's head for so long, imagining what it would be like to fall in love with him. But I also adored Theo, who is a friend of George and Leah’s and Leah’s husband when the book begins, and also Jamie, Leah’s long-term foster brother. I have a big soft spot for Leah’s parents too – I found them to be very inspirational.


Which authors do you admire most in your genre?

I’ve always loved Marian Keyes and I’m a big fan of Mhairi McFarlane as someone else who writes emotional love stories. Recently I’ve really enjoyed reading books by Emily Henry, Taylor Jenkins, K.A. Tucker and Christina Lauren.

What is the most surprising thing you have discovered when writing your novels?

That I can be so close to a deadline with SO many words still left to write and then it somehow, always (touch wood!) comes together in time. I panic every single year, but last autumn, when I looked back at a five-year diary I keep for the kids, I saw that I was at exactly the same stage as in previous years.

Where is your favourite place to write?

In the retired campervan at the bottom of the garden. It’s the only place where I know I won’t be disturbed if everyone’s home – apart from my little dog who now follows me down there.

What’s your favourite writing snack or drink?

A cup of Yorkshire tea and sometimes a biscuit!

How do you celebrate when you finished writing your book?

After I’ve bawled my eyes out – which I do every time, even when it’s a really happy ending – I open a bottle of Prosecco! Last time my husband brought the bottle and two glasses down to the campervan to join me, which was a sweet moment.

How do you pick your book titles? Which is your favourite?

Sometimes I have them from the start – like Lucy in the Sky – and other times we find them right at the end when the book is about to be sent off to the printers – like Chasing Daisy! Sometimes I come up with them, sometimes it’s my editor or someone else working closely on my books, and sometimes it’s a combination of the two, when I might suggest something and it’s tweaked. Someone I Used to Know was suggested to me by Judith Long who is quite new to working on my books, but who has been a reader of mine for years. She really engages with my stories and when she suggested this, along with a couple of other great titles, I just knew. It’s definitely up there, but Five Years From Now is probably my favourite. It came from something my dad said to me as a teenager and I like that it tells a bit of a story in itself.

If you could a character in one of your books, who would it be? And why?

They’ve all been through so much! The path to love in my books is never smooth, but it would be fun to walk in Meg’s shoes for a while, given that a world-famous, globe-trotting, sexy-as-hell rock star is head over heels in love with her.

What do you enjoy doing when you aren't writing?

I most enjoy being mum to my two kids, but when I have some me-time, I love to read, lose myself in a good film, go on long walks with my dog and listen to music while dreaming up story ideas.


What is your favourite quote?

Five years from now, you’ll look back and understand why this happened. My dad said this to me as a teenager and I’ve thought about it often since, not least when it inspired a book idea. He was proved correct: I may have messed up my exams, but the university I ended up going to via clearing was where I met my husband-to-be and the father of my kids!

Which book is currently on your bedside table?

Christina Lauren’s The Soulmate Equation – I just love the way this writing duo engages me with every single story. I’m always rooting for the characters to get together.

What is coming next for you?

I have two book ideas that I’m trying to decide between. One is a little lighter and funnier and the other has more emotional depth. I’ll have to see what I most feel like writing when it comes down to it!

A HUGE thank you to Paige for taking the time to talk to me! 😊

You can catch my full review of Someone I Used To Know soon, in the meantime go & grab yourself a copy, I promise you won't be disappointed. 

Have you read any Paige Toon? Which is your favourite? 



Comments

Follow me on Instagram

Popular Posts