The Wildflowers - Harriet Evans

Blurb
Tony and Althea Wilde. Glamorous, argumentative ... adulterous to the core.
They were my parents, actors known by everyone. They gave our lives love and colour in a house by the sea - the house that sheltered my orphaned father when he was a boy.
But the summer Mads arrived changed everything. She too had been abandoned and my father understood why. We Wildflowers took her in.
My father was my hero, he gave us a golden childhood, but the past was always going to catch up with him ... it comes for us all, sooner or later.
This is my story. I am Cordelia Wilde. A singer without a voice. A daughter without a father. Let me take you inside.
Review
This family saga is an epic spanning 8 decades! The way Evans portrays the idyllic setting and the immense pull it has over the entire family is utterly captivating. Reading the revelations of the secrets and lies fracturing this family was interesting but ultimately not gripping. Every time I got attached to the story of a particular character that section ended and inevitably with this kind of story you find some characters more likable than others - so sadly at times I found myself reading just to finish it.  Overall it's not a bad novel it just wasn't the epic page-turner I was expecting.
⭐⭐⭐

Read if you enjoyed:

Comments

Follow me on Instagram

Popular Posts