If Only I Could Tell You - Hannah Beckerman

Blurb

Audrey's family has fallen apart. Her two grown-up daughters, Jess and Lily, are estranged, and her two teenage granddaughters have never been allowed to meet. A secret that echoes back thirty years has splintered the family in two, but is also the one thing keeping them connected.
As tensions reach breaking point, the irrevocable choice that one of them made all those years ago is about to surface. After years of secrets and silence, how can one broken family find their way back to each other?
Review
Audrey is determined to bridge the gap between her daughters Lily and Jess who have spent the last 30 years not talking to each other. But after so many years of silence and secrets can the damage ever be repaired?

I love the premise of this novel, the cover is gorgeous and I had heard countless great things about it, so I wanted to like this book, I really did... But whilst it's very well written and beautiful in parts it just didn't hit the spot for me. The 'if only I could tell you' secret was drawn out to long then after the big reveal you are hit again and again with the worst scenario's life has to offer. I did love the choir sideline story it was uplifting and joyous! There are many triggering topics within the pages illness, miscarriage and suicide among others. I think this would make a brilliant book club read as it is incredibly divisive but ultimately touching. 

Thanks to Orion & Netgalley for sending me this in exchange for an open and honest review.


⭐⭐⭐

Comments

Follow me on Instagram

Popular Posts