The Songs of Us - Emma Cooper

Blurb
If Melody hadn't run out of de-icer that day, she would never have slipped and banged her head. She wouldn't be left with a condition that makes her sing when she's nervous. And she definitely wouldn't have belted out the Arctic Monkeys' 'I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor' in assembly at her son's school.

If Dev hadn't taken the kids to the zoo that day, then the accident wouldn't have happened. He wouldn't have left Flynn and Rose without a dad. Or shattered the love of his life's heart.

But if they hadn't seen the missing person report that day, they might never have taken the trip to Cornwall. And, in the last place they expected, discovered what it really means to be 'Us'.

Review
I laughed so much I cried and then I got my heart-broken which left me ugly crying. I was not at all prepared for the rollercoaster of emotions this book sent me on!

The writing is absolutely brilliant and I instantly became invested in these flawed characters (we are only human after all, no one is perfect!) in a loving but dysfunctional family. Cooper has a real talent for blending humour with heartbreak and is an exciting new voice in this genre - this was my first book of hers but it certainly won't be my last. 

Luckily, my heart has been put back together again by this quirky, clever, poignant and powerful read. If I can be as bold to say it's almost as good as Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (one of my favourite books of all time!). Trust me - Pick up this book and a box of tissues and you won't regret it!! It's an unforgettable read that will stay with you long after you have turned the last page.

Thanks to Netgalley and the Headline for sending me this in exchange for an open and honest review.


⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Comments

Follow me on Instagram

Popular Posts