Review | The Golden Key - Marian Womack

Blurb
1901. After the death of Queen Victoria, England heaves with the uncanny. Séances are held and the dead are called upon from darker realms.

Helena Walton-Cisneros, known for her ability to find the lost and the displaced, is hired by the elusive Lady Matthews to solve a twenty-year-old mystery: the disappearance of her three stepdaughters who vanished without a trace on the Norfolk Fens.

But the Fens are an age-old land, where folk tales and dark magic still linger. The locals speak of devilmen and catatonic children are found on the Broads. Here, Helena finds what she was sent for, as the Fenland always gives up its secrets, in the end...

Review
Maybe it was just me but I found it a bit messy? Don't get me wrong I loved the gothic elements and the gorgeous descriptions of the Victorian era but I felt there was something missing...

The cast of characters are unique and interesting, the descriptions of the era are beautiful. But I felt the structure was slightly miss-matched there was some fab idea but the implementation fell short for me. I was so gutted because the concept had so much potential.

Thanks to Titan Books for a copy in exchange for an open & honest review.⠀

⭐⭐⭐

Comments

Follow me on Instagram

Popular Posts