Still Life | Val McDermid | Review


Blurb

'The bodies never stay buried forever . . .'

On a freezing winter morning, fishermen pull a body from the sea. It is quickly discovered that the dead man was the prime suspect in a decade-old investigation, when a prominent civil servant disappeared without trace. DCI Karen Pirie was the last detective to review the file and is drawn into a sinister world of betrayal and dark secrets.

But Karen is already grappling with another case, one with even more questions and fewer answers. A skeleton has been discovered in an abandoned campervan and all clues point to a killer who never faced justice - a killer who is still out there.

In her search for the truth, Karen uncovers a network of lies that has gone unchallenged for years. But lies and secrets can turn deadly when someone is determined to keep them hidden for good . . .


Review

Would you believe this is my first McDermid book?!

With excellent plotting, brilliant characters & perfect pacing it certainly won't be my last!

Perfect for fans of police procedurals, it's dual caseload will keep you on your toes and turning those pages long after you should have turned the lights out.

I just missed out on 5⭐ because I guessed the ending. I loved playing detective and the ride to it though.

Now I'm off to find more of her back catalog to read whilst I wait for the next installment...

A huge thanks to Tandem Collective & Little Brown Books for gifting me a copy in return for an open & honest review.

⭐⭐⭐⭐

Comments

Follow me on Instagram

Popular Posts