Milly Johnson | Interview | Author Spotlight | Q&A


 

Hey Bookworms,

I am over-the-moon to announce Milly Johnson (pictured) is the focus of my Author Spotlight this month! The world is a crazy place to be at the moment, so I love nothing more than escaping into a brilliant book & who better to escape with than the Queen of Feel Good Fiction!! In fact, the only thing better than a new Milly book is a new Christmas Milly book.

Milly was born, raised, and still lives in Barnsley, South Yorkshire. She is a Sunday Times Bestseller, she is the winner of the Romantic Novelists' Association Outstanding Achievement Award, and with millions of copies sold across the world, Milly's star continues to rise.

Her 18th novel I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day was released on Thursday and honestly from the very first page it will have you smiling, I haven't finished it yet (I only managed to get my mitts on it yesterday after wild goose chases!) but so far I'm absolutely loving it, Milly's writing is like getting a great big hug with just the right amount of oomph underneath.

 Without further ado here is my Q&A with the fabulously incredible lady herself...

Can you tell me something about I Wish I Could Be Christmas Every Day that isn't in the blurb?

A tin of plum tomatoes has a starring role.

How did you come up with the inspiration for this novel?

I’ve had the title swimming around in my head for years - it was a killer title and I wanted to be the one who wrote a book around it. It would have been a very different book had I written it last year - a more magical world springing up out of nowhere. Or later this year - because I would have avoided anything to do with a lockdown situation.  I wrote it in a window of time in January after losing my father the previous month and wanting somewhere to put my feelings - and to cheer myself up.  Timing really is everything. 

What is the most surprising thing you have discovered when writing your novels?

That I never knew how much was inside me until I started to write a story because I don’t plot. So when people say ‘I’d love to write a book but I don’t know where to start’ my standard answer is ’Neither do I. Just set off writing and see where it takes you.’ I’m always astounded when I get to the end of a book and think ‘How did all that happen?'

Can you tell me your favourite Christmas cracker joke?

What do you call a menopausal snowwoman?  A puddle.

What is your favourite Christmas tradition?

Watching the old familiar films - It’s a Wonderful Life, Home Alone, The Bishop’s Wife with a large glass of mulled wine. 

If you could choose to be a character in a book, who would it be? And why?

The second Mrs de Winter. I would have sacked Mrs Danvers and enjoyed Manderley as the Lady of the Manor. 

Where is your favourite place to write?

My office. I can’t write anywhere else.

What is the best thing about being an author?

The surprises. You get unexpected emails all the time from people and invites - and some of them are really exciting, some just lovely. Very few are awful, thank goodness. 

What do you enjoy doing when you aren't writing?

I like to make things - miniatures out of modelling material. Or paint, draw, knit. I’m always making things. Also looking at big houses on Rightmove.

Which book is currently on your bedside table?

Lady in Waiting by Anne Glenconner. I don’t want it to finish - it’s amazing.  

What is your favourite quote?

Wherever you are - be there totally.

What is coming next for you?

Writing book 19. I’m also writing a film script, another book of poetry and a collection of jokes - and goodness knows what else. I’ve had some interest in one of my books from a film company, which may or not come to fruition. The odds are slim - but without hope, we have nothing!

Thank-you Milly, it was an absolute pleasure chatting too you.

Booklovelies, check back soon for my review of I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day and a Christmas edition of this or that.



Comments

Follow me on Instagram

Popular Posts