Helen J Rolfe | Interview | Author Spotlight | Q&A



Hey Bookworms,

I am incredibly excited to announce Helen J Rolfe (pictured) is my Author Spotlight this month! Her latest release Christmas at the Little Waffle Shack is the perfect festive read brimming with twinkly lights, sparks & of course waffles, so many scrummy-sounding waffles.

She was born and raised in the UK, Helen graduated from University with a business degree and began working in I.T. This job took her over to Australia and it was there that she studied writing and journalism and began writing for women's health and fitness magazines. She also volunteered with the PR department of a children's hospital where she wrote articles and media releases. Helen began writing fiction in 2011 and hasn't missed the I.T. world one little bit, although the I.T. skills have come in handy of course, especially when it comes to creating and maintaining a website.

After fourteen years of living in Australia, Helen returned to the UK and now lives in Hertfordshire with her husband and their children.

Without any further ado here is my Q&A with the fabulous lady herself...

Can you tell me something about Christmas at the Little Waffle Shack that isn't in the blurb?

There are a couple of intergenerational friendships in the book, something I love to include. I think I've done this with nearly all my novels. In Christmas at the Little Waffle Shack, Lucy might be trying to get away from the man in her past, but she has a strong bond with his gran and I think that will continue for her even when her ex is out of her life.

How did you come up with the inspiration for this novel?
I went to Bruges earlier this year and of course with Belgium comes waffles. I've set books in cafes which I loved doing as food has a way of bringing people together, and waffles was another chance to do that. It felt very cosy and wintry like to have a log cabin serving waffles to the locals!

What is the most surprising thing you have discovered when writing your novels?
That I never get tired of characters and settings. I love to revisit the same place and include familiar faces in future books even though the main story isn't about them. It's like catching up with favourite friends!

What is your favourite Christmas tradition?
I love Christmas Eve, it's my favourite day, and I always make sure I have a Christmas book to read in paperback and I'll enjoy that by the tree as soon as it's dark. And then my husband and I always watch a Christmas movie in the evening

If you could choose to be a character in a book, who would it be? And why?
I'd like to be Maddie from Handle Me with Care because she lives in Melbourne and I love it there! She goes to the Yarra river, along to the restaurants at Southbank, and takes the tram to work. I love all of those things...

Where is your favourite place to write?
I work at a desk at home so not very exciting. One day I may try writing on location but it hasn't happened yet!

What is the best thing about being an author?
I love the freedom I have to disappear into different worlds and invent stories for my characters. I've found it a real escape in 2020 when the world is so crazy right now...I shut myself away at my writing desk and basically pretend it's not happening. I send my characters to restaurants and pubs, they hug each other, it's great!

What do you enjoy doing when you aren't writing?
Reading, of course. I also love yoga and getting out and about. I love to see new places too so hopefully some travel will be on the horizon before too long.

Which book is currently on your bedside table?
I've been lucky enough to receive an advance copy of The Last Goodbye by Fiona Lucas. I just started it and I know it's going to be a beautiful story...it's well written and I'm already hooked.

What is your favourite quote?
Definitely, John Lennon's 'Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans'. So very true, especially this year!

What is coming next for you?
I have two books out in December ... Christmas at the Little Waffle Shack which is book 2 set in Heritage Cove. Then on 10th December my 4th and final part of my new serial, The Kindness Club on Mapleberry Lane, is published. I'm keeping busy!

Thank you, Helen, it was an absolute pleasure chatting too you.

Booklovelies, check back soon for my review of Christmas at the Little Waffle Shack and a special Christmas edition of this or that.



Comments

Follow me on Instagram

Popular Posts