Chris Carter | Interview | Author Spotlight | Q&A






Hey Bookworms,

I'm over the moon to announce Chris Carter (pictured) is the focus of my Author Spotlight this month! He has just released his 11th novel Written In Blood featuring Robert Hunter - I absolutely love this series, Carter never fails to produce pulse racing reads that once you have started you won't be able to put down.

Chris studied psychology and criminal behaviour at the University of Michigan. As a member of the Michigan State District Attorney's Criminal Psychology team, he interviewed and studied many serial and multiple homicide offenders with life imprisonment convictions. He now lives in London.
 
 Without further ado here is my Q&A with the fabulous man himself...

Can you tell us something about Written In Blood that isn't in the blurb?
This was by far the hardest book to finish I’ve ever written.  It was so traumatizing for me that upon finishing it, I seriously considered not ever writing another novel.

How do you come up with the inspiration for the novel?
A known saying in the world of writing is that “Inspiration” is for amateurs.  Once you have a contract with a publishing house and a deadline, you don’t have the luxury of sitting around waiting for “Inspiration” to come.  You simply sit down and start writing because you have to.

Which of your novels is your favourite? And why?
I get asked this a lot and my answer is always the same - I don’t have a favourite.  That is like asking which one of your children is your favourite.  Every time I write a novel, I give it my best.  There are novels that were harder to write, but it doesn’t mean that I like them any less.

What is the most surprising thing you have discovered when writing your novels?
That fiction has to make sense, while reality doesn’t.

Which authors do you admire the most?
All of them.  Once you have experienced how tough it is to break into the publishing market... how exhausting it is to spend an entire year, some times longer writing a book... how disheartening it is to receive hundreds of rejection letters, and yet you still carry on trying until you finally get there, you learn to respect every author that has been through all of this.  It’s a tough market to get in to and an even tougher one to survive in, so my hat goes off to every single author who has managed to get a novel published.

If you could choose to be a character in a book, who would it be?
Dracula.

Where is your favourite place to write?
I only write in my office – well, office is a strong word here.  I have a little room in my house where I write from.

What do you enjoy doing when you aren't writing?
Used to be “partying”, but after losing my partner and the changes that Covid 19 have and still will bring to the world, I’m not sure anymore.

Which book is currently on your bedside table?
None.  I barely read. Usually not even 2 books a year.

What is your favourite quotation?
It changes depending on the time.  Right now it’s a very morbid one, so I will refrain from bringing every down with it.

What is coming next for you? I've got my fingers-crossed you'll say more Robert Hunter?
I really don’t know.  After losing my partner I decided that once Written in Blood was finished, I would take some time off to try to rebuild something of my life and to work on my mental health.  Unfortunately Covid 19 and all the lockdowns have cancelled everything that not only I, but everyone else had planned.  Right now, my future is very unsure.

A huge thanks to Chris for answering my questions! 😊

You guys can read my review of Written In Blood here.


Comments

  1. This is great!! Find it soo interesting that chris doesn’t read much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I thought that was really interesting too xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Follow me on Instagram

Popular Posts